Tuesday, November 11, 2008

#15 Web 2.0 Library

Well what can I say, I don't know why it has taken 15 weeks to get to this activity, I think it should have been one of the first... anyway I'm glad I finally read all the articals, some were a bit technical, but I particularly liked the idea that in the previous generation of libraries we were the keeper of the information, and our role was to try and anticipate what information our patrons needed or wanted. In this web 2.0 envrionment, that is no longer the case, our role is to connect our patrons to the information and I was thinking about the collection...which is dear to me that in the future our patrons could order material directly from suppliers, and it could be delivered in physical or electronic format, thus eleminating the need for vast library collections that we hoped our patrons will read/enjoy. The concept that web 2.0 will effect everything we do and that the library has a role in assisting our patrons is exciting and really a bit scary for someone my age. I think Rick Anderson's artical was the best as he went through what we have been doing and what we could potentially do using the web 2.0 technology. Dr Wendy Shultz's idea that the next phase is web 3.0D doesn't appeal to me and I think I will give it a miss, as I cannot get excited about the "second life", I'm flat out keeping up with this one, no thanks, more problems!!! i would rather jump to web 4.0, but I think by that stage I will have retired and working in my vegie garden....

No comments: